How To Take the Doors Off a Jeep Wrangler
The Jeep Wrangler changes the entire concept of what a convertible vehicle is. Not only can you put the top down — or remove it altogether — you can also remove the doors. This kind of versatility is a real advantage, especially when you’re out on an off-road adventure and need to exit or enter the vehicle quickly. It also allows Anderson and Chico area drivers to reduce the vehicle’s weight, which improves fuel economy. Ready to learn how to take the doors off of a Jeep? Learn how with SJ Denham Chrysler Jeep FIAT today!
Steps for Removing the Doors from Your Jeep Wrangler
Follow these steps from the Jeep experts at SJ Denham Chrysler Jeep FIAT to learn how to take the doors off your Jeep, and enjoy open-air driving in Northern California today.
- Fold in the side mirrors
- Press the mirror so that it lays flat against the door.
- Roll down the windows
- Remove the black safety strap
- The safety strap is located on the inner part of the door where the hinges are. All you need to do is unhook it from the door.
- Unplug the wiring pigtail
- If your Jeep is equipped with power windows and locks, you’ll need to unplug the wiring pigtail. It is located on the inner part of the door. Just press the release on the plastic clip to unplug.
- Remove the bolts
- On the outside of the door, where the door meets the body of the Jeep, there are 2 bolts that need to be removed.
- Close the door without latching it.
- At the bottom of each bolt there is a nut that must be removed. Use a 13 mm socket and turn counter-clockwise to loosen the nuts. Be careful not to damage the paint.
- Remove the door
- Once you’ve removed the nuts, reach through the open window to grip the inside door handle.
- With the other hand grip the outside door handle.
- Lift the door straight up to disconnect it from the Jeep.
- Store the doors in a safe place
- Be careful to store the doors in a way that keeps them from being damaged. We suggest laying them on a blanket, with the interior side down.
- Disable the Door Alarm
- Disconnect the negative lead from the battery, and tuck it down alongside so that it can’t accidentally contact the terminal.
- Remove the fuse box cover, which is usually located beneath the dash near the emergency brake.
- On the underside of the fuse box cover there should be a diagram that identifies each fuse. Using fuse clips or needle-nose pliers, remove the one labeled “Door Jam Defeat”. Refer to your owner’s manual if you have trouble locating the fuse,
- Reconnect the negative lead to the battery.
Advantages of Driving a Jeep With the Doors Off
If you are looking to bring a truly unique vehicle home to Red Bluff then the Jeep Wrangler is built for you. Only the Jeep Wrangler can present such a drastic lifestyle change overnight. When you get in a Jeep with the doors off, you will instantly feel more alive. No other SUV brings you as close to nature as the Jeep Wrangler can, and at the end of the day, isn’t that the point of an adventure vehicle? You can feel the fresh air run through your hair and surround you as you disconnect from the stress of daily life. You can even enjoy a better fuel economy when you drive your Jeep with the doors off!
Is Driving a Jeep Wrangler With the Doors off Safe and Legal?
Many thrill-seeking drivers want to enjoy their off-roading adventures while still adhering to the rules and regulations of the road. A common question we hear at the dealership is, “Is it legal to drive a Jeep Wrangler with the doors off?” Yes! You can feel confident on your next road-trip knowing that it is perfectly legal to drive your Jeep Wrangler with the doors off across most states in the U.S.
Another concern for drivers is knowing what to do with Jeep mirrors when the doors are off. In order to remain safe and legal, having adequate Jeep mirrors when the doors are off is required. There are a variety of solutions for Jeep mirrors when the doors are off to keep your adventure safe which include:
- Door hinge relocation: This quick and inexpensive relocation solution allows drivers to take advantage of existing hardware within the door hinge to install mirrors.
- Windshield pillar relocation: This is a more expensive fix and requires the purchase of some accessories. However, the mirror position will feel authentic as it is closely in-line with the factory location.
- Tube door relocation: If you opt for quirky and fun tube doors, many will have the hardware in place for a safe and easy mirror relocation.
Learn More About the Jeep Wrangler at SJ Denham Chrysler Jeep FIAT
Learn more about the off-road capability and towing capacity of the Jeep Wrangler, and find out how this rugged SUV matches up against competitors like the Ford Escape, before visiting our Jeep showroom in Redding. We’d love to fill you in on all the details regarding this versatile Jeep Trail Rated® 4×4. We love to help with every part of your car buying adventure. From finding the perfect Jeep Wrangler configuration to deciding if buying or leasing is right for you. If you have any questions or want to compare Wrangler two-door vs. four-door, please contact us. Take on your next adventure in a Jeep with the doors off!
More on the Jeep Wrangler
The Jeep Wrangler changes the entire concept of what a convertible vehicle is. Not only can you put the top down — or remove it altogether — you can also remove the doors. This kind of versatility is a real advantage, especially when you’re out on an off-road adventure and need to exit or enter…
Upgrade the visibility of your 2018 Jeep Wrangler in the Anderson area with Jeep Wrangler LED headlights. Simply equip LED headlights for easier and safer navigation around Chico and Red Bluff. Buy a higher Jeep Wrangler configuration to enjoy LED lighting, or outfit a lower trim configuration with approved Mopar® LED bulbs. Our parts department makes…
If you’ve looked at the new Jeep lineup lately, you may have found yourself asking, “What is a Jeep Wrangler JK?” The 2018 Jeep Wrangler and 2018 Jeep Wrangler JK are both for sale now near Chico and Corning at SJ Denham Chrysler Jeep Fiat, but how do they compare to one another? Check out…